The British Sundial Society
Promoting the Art and Science of Gnomonics since 1989
Castle Howard and Greenwich Observatory
Fully illustrated explanations
Projects to make your own dials
PROFESSIONAL RESTORATION CLASS
Submitted by Charles Perry Restorations Ltd,
Praewood Farm, Hemel Hempstead Road, St Albans AL3 6AA
In 2010, Charles Perry Ltd was contacted to remove, restore and replace the elaborate vertical sundial at All Saints’ Church in Isleworth. The Church dates in part, back to 1398. The first sundial there is believed to have been a painted vertical wooden sundial which was dedicated to the memory of Susannah, fourth wife of Colonel Sir Nicholas Lawes (Chief Justice of Jamaica from 1698 to 1703 and Governor from 1718 to 1722) who had died in 1707 at the age of 47. Church records, such as they are, show that the sundial has been repainted and maintained ever since.
Sadly, the church, except for the tower, was destroyed in 1943 by two boys, who had set fire to five churches in the area in the course of a few days, destroying much of the fabric of All Saints’ and one other. After years of indecision the desire for a full restoration was finally abandoned on cost grounds and in 1970 a smaller modern brick building was openly linked to the remaining tower. It is this building that continues in use today and the then present sundial was mounted high (arguably somewhat too high) on the new Lady Chapel of this building.
In 1922, Professor Hugo Michnik, invented the bifilar sundial. In the original version, the bifilar sundial has two non-touching threads parallel to the horizontal dial. The second thread is orthogonal to the first. The intersection of the two threads’ shadows gives the local apparent time.
The sundial in its setting with some of the accompanying sculptural and landscaping work.
Visitor Interpretation Area
Ben Lawers National Nature Reserve
Longitude: 4.2º West
Latitude: 56.55º North
Client: National Trust for Scotland
Designed and made by Tim Chalk
Concrete casting by Gray Concrete
Commissioned January 2012
Completed June 2012
Dial Type: Free standing vertical Dial with angled solar calendar slab
Materials: Cast Glass Reinforced Concrete, Cor-ten Steel
Dimensions: 1.2 metres(h) x 800mm(w) x 100mm(d)
Location: Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
Co-ordinates: 51⁰32’25.1”N 0⁰01’05.46”W
Dimensions: approx. 6m x 4.5m
Materials: Date scale: stainless steel details set into welsh blue-black slate.
Hour points (2 sets), cardinal points, sunrise/set markers, instructions: stainless steel.
Background: Non-slip concrete.
Designed, orientated and delineated by David Brown
Construction by gardening subcontractors Willerby Landscapes of Edenbridge, Kent.
Octagonal plate, 520mm across flats, 28mm thick
Gnomon, water-jet cut brass and slate 12mm thick, 400mm long.
Cursor: water-jet cut and stove enamelled etching, on stainless steel pin.
Materials: Plate: Welsh blue-black slate, brass, stainless steel
Location : In private ownership, Lat. approx. 51⁰N
Designed, delineated and hand cut by David Brown
Dimensions: 4.5m diameter in plan
Materials: Hour points, hour lines and motto in Cumbrian green slate
Principal background in Portland stone.
Sunburst in Indian red granite
Gnomon in stainless steel 25mm thick
Equation of time plaque with credits is in stainless steel
Location: Eureka Park, Swadlincote, Derbyshire: 52⁰46’41.45’’N, 1⁰33’12.27’’W