This dial (SRN 1409) was recently stolen from the churchyard in Osgathorpe, Leics. If you see or hear of it on eBay or any auctioneer’s site, please let David Brown know. The theft has been reported to the police.
A new issue of the Fixed Dial Register has been published, designed for sale to the general public. 4,500 dials in the British Isles are included, with a full description and one large photograph per dial and up to three additional smaller photos. Coordinates can be copied and pasted directly into mapping apps like Google Maps or Streetmap. The register is in the form of a pdf file, indexed and book-marked by county. Click here to see a couple of sample pages.
The register costs £15 and is available from email@example.com, on DVD or USB Memory Stick. Christmas is coming!
The Ebenezer Chapel at Hebden Bridge was built in 1777. The Particular Baptists outgrew it by 1857 and it became a Sunday School till 1883. It was sold after the first World War and had various other uses until 1973 when, after being the offices of the Hebden Bridge Times, it became the village Arts Centre, and remains as such today.
Thanks to John Lester for the following description:
Maud Heath was a pedlar woman who in 1474 left sufficient money to endow the causeway which crosses the Avon just before it reaches Chippenham in Wiltshire. The best preserved section is a raised footpath supported by 64 brick arches, allowing the river to flow underneath in times of flood. Half way along the causeway, at Kellaways, stands a pillar erected in 1698, and bearing this cube sundial. The original Latin mottoes were translated by the Rev W L Bowles and inscribed on the lower section c 1828. The Rev Bowles had a reputation for absent-mindedness. At a school prize-giving he presented a Bible to one child, having written in it “With the author’s compliments”.